At least 52 people – including many women and children – have been killed when air strikes by Iraqi forces mistakenly targeted civilians gathering in the ISIL-held western city of al-Qaim, military officials told Al Jazeera.
Dozens of other people reportedly waiting for their salaries outside an exchange facility and a livestock market were also wounded in Wednesday’s air raid by Sukhoi fighter jets.
Mohammed al-Karbouli, an Iraqi member of parliament in Anbar province, said in an official statement on his Facebook page that it was not the first time civilians had been bombed by the Iraqi air force.
“We demand the government establish an investigation commission to find out who is behind these repeated accidents of killing civilians, lately in al-Qaim city,” Karbouli said.
“To repeat the mistakes of bombing civilians is to distort the reputation of our troops.”
He also said the incidents raised questions on the validity of the intelligence the army is using in targeting the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS) group.
“This gives an opportunity to the terrorist organisation of promoting information through their media that harms our forces,” Karbouli said.
Another Anbar politician, Ahmed al-Salmani, and hospital sources said 55 civilians were killed.
Amaq, the media arm of ISIL, reported on the raid, saying at least 60 civilians were killed by Iraqi warplanes.